Being a director is a job in its own right and very different from being a manager. The Highly Effective Director is an intensive, one-day course providing tools and techniques to help existing, new, future directors escape the management trap and excel in the boardroom.
Participants will learn a host of tools and techniques for working on the business rather than in it - a must for any entrepreneur, family-business member, unit head or senior manager, seeking to advance or simply think like a CEO.
Each 7 'lessons' will be structured around a central framework:
- Accountability – our results (Stakeholder relations / managing expectations / getting results)
- Foresight – our future (Corporate Culture / Vision, Mission and Values / mood of the times)
- Strategy – our route map (Revolution / Options / Fit)
- Management – our action plan (Securing resources / Planning and Action / Monitoring and Control)
- The Core – our corporate DNA (our spirit – our soul)
What you'll learn
Practical tools for the professional director, including:
- A central framework for focusing and organising your activity as a director
- How to define the DNA of the business
- Techniques for defining a clear, compelling organisational purpose
- How to think on three time-horizons
- The process for addressing strategic challenges to the business
- How to delegate and gain broad-based action
- How to secure strategic advantage and long-term prosperity
- How to plan – and make it stick.
- Three core principles for inspirational leadership
- The value of building a learning organisation.
Making the shift:
- Dealing with uncertainty
- Gaining consensus while preserving challenge
- Daring to be different – and managing the risk
- How to preserve courage and innovation.
Common pitfalls and how to address them:
- How to escape the management trap
- Finding time to think
- Managing risk
- Balancing the conflict of stakeholder expectations
- Dealing with uncertainty.