Most people know that they should be able to receive feedback in a constructive way. The trouble is, most of us don't. It's far easier to react defensively and tell the other person that they're not so great, either. This is a shame – people who are good at accepting feedback not only learn and grow but also receive higher performance ratings at work.
While listening and acting on feedback is important at an individual level, it's even more critical at an organisational level. Organisations with a culture of frequent, honest feedback are more successful than those with a culture of whinging and gossiping behind backs. We sometimes teach managers to give feedback – but what can we do to encourage everyone in the organisation to actively seek it? If you are interested in the answer to that question, this course is for you.
What you'll learn
How to receive feedback
- The paradox at the heart of all feedback conversations
- Practical tools for listening to feedback
- Questions to ask when the feedback is far from clear
- When to act on feedback and when not to act!
Why feedback goes wrong
- Why trust matters and what if there isn't any
- Why most feedback is too vague
- Separating feedback for improvement and feedback for evaluation
- What to do when it's really about the relationship, and not just about you
How to give great feedback
- Why most feedback is too vague to be useful
- Six common mistakes in giving feedback
- How to use E2C2 to structure powerful feedback
How to create a culture of open honest feedback
- How to give great feedback
- Who needs to be able to give great feedback?
- Who needs to be able to receive great feedback?
- Small group, big impact – where to begin to change your culture of feedback
- How to sustain momentum
- How to measure that you've got the feedback culture you want.
Feedback in context
- Feedback, goal setting, learning and motivation
- Feedback and you performance appraisal process
- Why your performance appraisal process doesn't work so well
- What works better than formal, annual performance appraisal